If the damage will get worse if temporary repairs aren’t made, don’t wait for the adjustor! Your policy covers the cost of reasonable and necessary temporary repairs you make to prevent further damage after a covered loss. Depending on the nature of the damage, temporary repairs could include one or more of the following:
  • taking trees off the house, covered outbuilding, driveway,
  • tarping a wind damaged roof,
  • using a wet vac to remove water,
  • placing fans and or dehumidifiers,
  • poking holes in waterlogged ceilings to prevent collapse,
  • placing buckets under leaking ceilings,
  • emergency electrical repairs made by a licensed electrician,
  • boarding windows and or doors.
Save your temporary repair receipts. If you do some of the work yourself, keep track of the time you spend.
The short answer is “As soon as possible!”
  • If a widespread, catastrophic event causes damage to the property of hundreds of policyholders, it may take more time than usual for the adjustor to inspect your property because of heavy claim volume and travel challenges.
  • If your damage is extensive or involves specialty items; this could extend the time it takes to complete your claim.
You choose the contractor who will repair your damage. Hire one who’s done satisfactory work for you in the past, or ask your friends or agent to suggest a reputable contractor. When you interview a prospective contractor, ask for references and proof of liability and workers compensation insurance. The Better Business Bureau may have records that could be helpful in choosing a repair firm. Be sure to get a written contract, make sure you understand it, and don’t pay for all the work upfront or before it’s completed.
Allegany’s Homeowner policies include coverage for Additional Living Expense. This coverage will reimburse you for the necessary and reasonable increase in expenses you incur to maintain the normal standard of living of your household when your home is made unfit for occupancy by a covered loss. Please keep your receipts for any additional living expenses you incur for reimbursement consideration.
If you have a mortgage on your home, the mortgage holder (mortgagee) has an interest in your property, and your policy requires that we name that entity or person on any check for damage to your house or other structure. You’ll need to contact your mortgagee to find out what its requirements are for negotiating the check and getting the funds released.